The Gotham Independent Film Awards just announced that "Beginners" and "The Tree of Life" were the winners in the Best Feature category. And now, the New York Film Critics Circle has unveiled their own winners, with "The Artist," a black-and-white silent film, taking home the Best Picture award.
It's important to point out that the critics did not include such films as "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" or "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" during their decision making, because both films weren't screened before the voting took place. Both will likely get recognition during the Academy Awards, which makes the New York Film Critics Circle nominees very incomplete.
"The Artist" also won Michael Hazanavicius the Best Director award. Meanwhile, Brad Pitt won Best Actor for "Moneyball" and "The Tree of Life," and Meryl Streep won Best Actress for "The Iron Lady."
* Best Picture: The Artist
* Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life)
* Best Screenplay: Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball)
* Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
* Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
* Best Actor: Brad Pitt (Moneyball and The Tree of Life)
* Best Supporting Actor: Albert Brooks (Drive)
* Best Actress: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
* Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain (Tree of Life, The Help and Take Shelter)
* Best Nonfiction Film: Cave of Forgotten Dreams (directed by Werner Herzog)