It was first reported that Kevin Smith was planning to direct the first movie he didn't write, called "A Couple Dicks" and starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan ("30 Rock"). Then Warner Bros decided to change the title to "A Couple of Cops" and make the film PG-13, rather than R, as with most Smith films.
Smith sat down with Lee Stranahan to explain what's going. You can read some of the highlights or watch the entire twelve-minute interview. [via /Film]
* The script is "definitely an R-Rated Film" with "salty language in it, but not a Hard R."
* Warner Bros was considering making it as a PG-13 movie (which might explain the brief "A Couple of Cops" title change) but Willis, Morgan, Smith and WB head Jeff Robinov decided it would be better as an R-Rated comedy.
* "It meant a lot of us had to give up a bunch of our salary to make this movie, that's how passionate we are about the flick."
* "It just feels like a grown up movie for me."
* "You could go after the Gran Torino audience with this movie, and that is a totally different audience than I've ever played to."
* "The budget of the movie is NOT huge."
* "For anyone who says 'He just sold out, he's just going for the buck — I'm making less to make this movie than I did on Dogma, which is a movie I made 10 years ago and didn't make a lot of money."
* "That's the way I think the business should be run. Everyone should take the risk and then if it pans out, we all get rich."
* Smith says Robinov hired him because this is a movie about "two dudes talking to each other" and his visual chops are now "up to snuff."
* "There are some action sequences in it. On the grand scale of things, not action sequences on the scale of Zack Snyder composes. But there are action sequences which are a little more than I've composed."
Kevin Smith is the f*cking man, he will make this gold. The man is one of the best directors ever or out there now. He's so smart with how to handle his work and whatever else people present to him that he never shoots himself in the foot really. Its the f*cking stupid people who cant enjoy his films that get him credited in a "bad sense" His fanbase alone is phenominal for him. I look forward to this!